Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Farmers Electric Cooperative, Inc.
The Board of Directors for Farmers Electric Cooperative, Inc. (Farmers) is seeking to fill the position of Chief Executive Officer. A vacancy in this position will be created when the current CEO resigns in August 2022 to take a position closer to family. Farmers is a non-profit, member-owned rural electric distribution cooperative with approximately 1,807 miles of line serving nearly 4,890 members in Southwest Iowa with the headquarters in Greenfield, Iowa. Greenfield and the surrounding communities are wonderful places to spend free time including hundreds of acres of hunting and fishing areas, several area golf courses, a winery, many parks, and other special attractions. Greenfield has an ever-growing school system that actively strives to provide the best academics for its students. Greenfield also has close access to excellent healthcare and is a very affordable place to live and raise a family, while being located less than an hour drive from Des Moines, Iowa, and an hour and a half drive from Omaha, Nebraska.
The Board seeks candidates with demonstrated competence in the management and leadership of an electric cooperative. In addition to strong people skills, the well-qualified candidate will have working knowledge in the following proficiencies: power supply, rates, engineering, proficiency in finance, accounting, human resources, safety, and customer service. The ability to work effectively with the Farmers Board is very important, exemplified by a collaborative, team-oriented approach to governance and the ability to bring initiative, innovation, and strategic vision to the CEO role. The CEO is expected to present a positive organizational image of Farmers in interactions with the community, other cooperatives, and the public in general.
A summary of candidate qualifications is as follows, although not all-inclusive:
- Five (5) or more years of increasingly responsible administrative, management, or supervisory experience is required
- A Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, public administration or management, or a technical-professional area such as economics, engineering, communications, marketing, finance, accounting, etc. is required.
- Commitment to the Seven Cooperative Principles.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills and be at ease with presentations to the public.
- Demonstrated success in managing a large, diverse group of people is preferred
- A working understanding of Board-Manager relations, supervision, budgeting, personnel, administration, planning, controls, forecasting, financial management, construction or project management and be able to translate this knowledge into effective work programs
- Industry knowledge with a focus on community, industrial and economic development is desirable as well as a general knowledge of load management and energy conservation principles.
- Leadership skills and experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating an organizational strategic plan is desirable
- Must conduct self with the highest levels of ethics and integrity
- Applicant is expected to reside within the Farmers service area within six (6) months and willingness to participate in the affairs of the Cooperative's headquarters community is desirable.
The CEO is responsible for the overall management of Farmers and reports directly to the 9-member Board of Directors (the Board), which is elected by the Farmers membership. The position is accountable to the Board and is responsible for administering policies and directives as established by the Board. The position requires the ability to manage multiple tasks through a collaborative problem-solving approach, that achieves organizational objectives on a timely basis.
Candidates with an understanding of the challenges facing rural Iowa and a strong commitment to address the needs of rural communities in the state will be preferred.
Farmers is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the NRECA defined benefit pension plan and 401k savings plan. The Cooperative also offers medical, dental, LTD, STD, and life insurance plans along with paid time off. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application packages should include a cover letter and resume, with the cover letter setting forth why the applicant is seeking the position and why the applicant believes he or she is the best choice for the position. Applicant should state salary requirements or salary range requested. Other information deemed relevant may also be included by the applicant. The application package should include 4 business and 2 personal references.
Application packages should be sent to the following, no later than September 16, 2022:
Sullivan & Ward, P.C.
6601 Westown Parkway, Suite 200
West Des Moines, Iowa 50266
All information shall be kept strictly confidential